Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Knock Down!

So we've never really liked the brick fireplace in our house. I've always been afraid that the kids would hit their head on the hearth especially when they were learning how to walk. During Christmas I had it covered with a white blanket in an attempt to make it look like snow. We've always talked about changing it but have never got around to it. Sunday night Dionys decides to hit it with the hammer to see if the bricks come loose at all. He tapped the corner and nothing happened. I went and tried to lift the brick and with my super human strength it just popped right off. So all the kids started taking the bricks off and we tore it down. It was actually very dirty! Inside the hearth there were broken bricks, dirt and garbage (cigarette butts, straws, paper, etc.). We even found an old Pepsi bottle cap. We do like it without the hearth though. It kind of gives us more space in the room. Now we need an idea of how to do our fireplace. We like traditional/modern and as cheap as possible. It's not like we were planning to take it down now it just kind of happened.




















Luckily, I kind of have a before shot from two years ago right after we moved in. I took a picture to show Dionys our new home because he wasn't here when we moved. Here's the after too. Obviously the before looks better but I'm posting the after so you can all help me with some ideas.




















And here's my cuties working hard to clean up all the dirt that was trapped in our hearth. It filled up two garbage cans and we still have more waiting to be thrown away.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

WOW! That's funny! You just decided to tear it down. ha ha :)

Don't have any ideas, but can't wait to see what you come up with!

Geesh - what a huge mess! It always amazes me how big the mess is!

Whitney said...

That is awesome! How random. I don't have any suggestions, but I'm sure that whatever you decide to do will look great, your ideas always do :)

Shanell said...

I saw once on trading spaces they covered the brick of a fireplace with plywood and painted it. That could look real modern and not be too expensive. The wood had some kind of design and they made it fit like a facade. There's my idea. I think the whole story is just funny. I love the kiddies workin' on the mess. That's just too cute.

kellyanddanielle said...

you kids are way cute.