Monday, April 2, 2012

Listening Treats


The only thing I liked about conference when I was little was not having to go to church.
But somehow, an entirely different attitude has been instilled in our children.
They surprised me by waking up on Saturday morning anxious to begin their conference weekend.
I was only planning on having them watch on Sunday but they weren't really happy with that.
They wanted to watch it all!
I was pleasantly shocked.
So we revised.


With only five minutes until conference started we had to come up with some last minute ideas.
After a little searching on Pinterest we had a fabulous conference weekend.
Here's a few of the creative ideas we used:

1. They had their conference packets to color.
2. We hung up all the apostles on the wall.  Every time one of them spoke they could draw a picture of what they were talking about and hang it up on that general authority's poster.
3.  We had listening treats.  I had six little containers full of candy, each with a different word taped to it.
Some of the words were, faith, family, endure, Jesus, missionary, temple . . .etc.  Everytime they heard that word they would get a treat from the the jar. This one was a favorite and really got them to listen.
4.  During the songs we ran through the house screaming at the top of our lungs.  You know to get some energy out.  I'm sure anyone walking by our home thought Mom was going crazy especially if they caught a glimpse of me with my arms flailing through the air as I yelled and ran with my kids.
5. And of course, there was our standing tradition of watching conference underneath the trampoline. The weather was perfectly sunny, breezy and cool.

I only heard a few of the talks since there was so much excitement in our home.
And I'm happy with that.
I can always watch them later.
But to help my kids enjoy listening to the wonderful gems that we get at conference time, 
that is priceless.