Monday, March 8, 2010

Lemon Hero

CUTE PIC OF ISABEL HERE
(I am seriously lacking in my picture taking duties just imagine one until I get one up.)

Every so often we get random people coming by to pick lemons. I've always said yes have at it. That tree gives us all the lemons we need and a lot that we are happy to share. But when Alexandria came in from outside and told me there were 4 men that wanted to know if they could pick some lemons I was a little hesitant. Why do four men want to pick lemons? Either they are landscapers looking for work or they want to clean the tree to turn around and sell our well watered lemons! I was about to get in the shower so I told her to just ignore them and maybe they would go away.

The nice hot water of the shower was just beginning to warm me up when Alexandria walked back in to let me know that they had filled up one box and that they were using our citrus picker to do it. Then, I knew. They were going to clean off the tree! Our citrus picker was in the backyard, locked in the shed. They had brought their own. Oh, no I thought. I still need those lemons! (I'm really behind this year on juicing and freezing the lemon juice.) I started to quickly rush through my shower routine. Lather . . . rinse . . .

"Mom, they have two boxes." . . .eeerrrr. . .do I have to repeat?

"Mom, they have three boxes." Leave on 1 -3 minutes?

"Mom, they have four boxes!!" Legs will just have to wait until tomorrow, I'm getting out.

But there was no need. It seems we have a super hero in this family and she's three. Isabel took the situation in her own hands. With a little encouragement from big sis she grabbed her brother's wooden sword, marched her fiesty, little three old body outside and pointed the toy sword at those four grown men. "Don't do it!" She threatened them.

"What?" One asked.

With her sword still in both hands pointed directly in their direction she ordered them again. "Don't pick the lemons!"

This darling little girl can be pretty intimidating and with a sword in her hands . . . well you can only imagine how those men must have felt. So they left. Our brave, three year old Isabel had scared them away or chased them away. But no matter. They were gone and we still have lemons. Isabel was our lemon hero that day. Her reward? All the lemonade she could possibly drink.

1 comment:

Janalyn said...

Ah, that is the funniest story! A very good telling of it too.