Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Fitness Friday (a little early)


I love going to the gym. It’s my break away from the kids. It’s a time when I can do something good for myself, which my body greatly appreciates and I feel so much better when I do it. I’m not a freak about it, if I don’t make it I don’t make it. I just know that when I do my life runs smoother. Plus, the average weight most Americans gain between Thanksgiving and New Year’s is 7 pounds - aka the Seasonal Seven. So in order to keep myself motivated during such a busy time of year I’m going to start a Fitness Friday. Hopefully, I’ll be able to post a fitness tip every Friday. This way I’ll remind myself about fitness while also reminding all of you that I care so much about. This one is getting posted early though because of Thanksgiving weekend.

I googled holiday fitness tips and I found quite a few. None of which worked for me. For example, this one: “On the day of a party, be sure to eat regularly all day long. If the party is in the evening, eat breakfast, lunch and a snack before hand (just as you would on any other day). Once you are at the party, go ahead and indulge in some of the fun, delicious foods. Since you have eaten meals earlier in the day, you probably will find that you aren’t tempted to go overboard and eat everything in sight. However, if you starve all day long attempting to save up all your calories for the party, you will be so famished by the time it begins that it will be difficult not to overeat.”

Whatever! If I eat regularly all day long I will still over eat at the party. It’s holiday food. I want to eat it! I prefer a small snack during the day and then going all out for the good stuff. But it’s truly all about what works best for you. You know yourself better than anyone else.

So since that finess tip didn't work for me I guess my first fitness tip will be to take a time out of your day to relax. (Yes, I’m serious.) Mental and physical health are so intertwined it’s important that we remember to just breathe especially when we start to get very busy. Take five minutes at night put on some relaxing music and just lay there and focus on your breathing let everything else go. Don't think about your day or tomorrow just breathe.

4 comments:

Heath said...

I'll be looking forward to the tips. Hey, who knows, I might get lucky and it may just motivate me enough to get to the gym....ya probably not!

Andrea said...

Thanks for the tip! I know, I haven't made it to the gym for a couple weeks. I need to get there & burn off my turkey & goodies!

Whitney said...

So, that tip doesn't work for me. I relax too much. I would like to get to the point where i need to MAKE myself relax for 5-15 mins. Then I'll be proud of myself :)

Adam Snell said...

so, Ondria, today is Fitness Friday again and I haven't received my tip... You really need to hurry and post that tip because I'm getting fatter with every minute.