Friday, November 2, 2007

Who's really teaching who?


I laid the kids down but they were not going to sleep. Finally, I threatened them with turning out the night light and closing the door. They kept screaming and playing so I turned out the light and said if I hear one more thing I'll close the door. DJ yelled, "Mommy, I not sleeping." So that was it I shut the door. And stood there holding the door shut while my kids are crying because it's dark. I know I'm such a mean mom. Then I hear Alexandria telling DJ and AJ the following.

"It's okay. Come here I'll help you. DJ, if you come here I'll help you. Just lay here really quiet and I'll help you. Don't worry, I'll hug you. I'll help you. Come on, right by me. Okay, here's the deal. Shh, don't talk and I'll bet Mommy will open the door again. Come here DJ. Come here AJ. Just lay right here. DJ, you come on this side. AJ, over here. Now just lay down and close your eyes. You won't even know it's dark. When you have your eyes closed you can't tell it's dark. I'm right here. I'll help you."

Okay, by this time I was thinking, how come she's a better mom than me? I should be learning from her sweet spirit instead of me trying to teach her. The boys quieted right down. And, I stuck to her "deal". I opened the door and said, "no more talking" and they went to sleep.

6 comments:

Kasey said...

What a sweet girl you have there! It's a good thing because you so have your hands full. How do you do it!

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

that is so sweet! But if you were like that, they would never learn..so its good that you did what they did and she did what she did :)

Adam Snell said...

That's awesome Ondria! I would think myself the best dad ever if I created a situation where my kids took care of each other without my direct involvement. She basically just proved that you're a wonderful mom because you have taught her to be loving and to take care of her brothers. Well done! That's when you open the door and say, "good job Alexandria, you passed the test..."

Whitney said...

That made me cry :) That reminds me of when mom and dad would put us in time outs and we thought we were tricking mom and dad into letting us play with each other again (by being nice even though we were mad at each other), but they were really tricking us into being nice to each other. Oh how I love Alexandria, she's so smart!

onehm said...

Wow. That is awesome. You are a great mom for recognizing a moment when you can learn from your child. I am always impressed with how much better my children are than me.

Andrea said...

She is such a sweetie!!! I love when my kids actually help & take care of each other. We have had those crazy bedtimes, too. They are so hard, at least she calmed them down and you were able to be "nice mom" again by opening the door. And they went to sleep! YAY!