Sunday, November 23, 2008

They Did Good


Too cute! After practicing and practicing the kids finally knew their parts in the Primary Program and with a little bit of bribery I was hoping they would actually do them. Alexandria did wonderful, as always. AJ was sleeping next to me through the whole thing so he didn't get a chance to do anything. Right before DJ said his part he looked at me with a big smile and he knew he could do it. This was his first primary program and he was actually radiating confidence. This is huge for him because he NEVER, NEVER, NEVER (did I mention NEVER?) talks in front of people. His teacher went first and said AJ's line. And that's when the disaster began. It totally threw the little guy off because DJ had been practicing AJ's line with him too so he knew both lines. DJ went next. He started but then forgot his line and confused it with AJ's. Then he began to ask "Mommy how . . ." to know how his line starts and that's when he lost it. Dropped to the floor, embarrassed and would not get up. It took everything inside me to not run up there and help him say his line. He was so sure he could do it and to get confused at the last minute . . . well let's just say he was pretty disappointed. His teacher had to pick him up and carry him back to his seat. Then he sat in his teacher's arms, being so traumatized he just shut his eyes, wouldn't open them and then finally fell asleep. He did his best. And he took a big step. I'm totally proud of him. So how could I refuse? They're still getting their rewards. I'm such a softie.

3 comments:

onehm said...

They did an AWESOME job! It was an adorable program...so glad that DJ tried so hard. Little L cried through her first primary program. I know how it feels as the Mama~ wanting to run right up there!!

Rebecca Irvine said...

The program was wonderful and I thought DJ was so cute getting embarrassed like that. In a few years he will be rolling his eyes and rushing through his part like most of the other kids.

De Ette said...

What a beautiful family!!! I was so proud of DJ and I was so sure he was going to say his part. That was the first time he had walked up to the front on his own and he looked very confident in what he was doing. I know he will be able to do it next year and maybe with early church AJ will be awake! :-)