Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Little Scare

I haven't written about this yet (or a whole lot of other things) because it's really hard to stay motivated blogging when you're private. I just have to remember that I'm doing this for the blog book too and so I do need to journal things for our family.

A couple of months ago Isabel got sick, really sick. After waiting a couple of days hoping that it would just go away and I wouldn't have to make the dreaded trip to the doctors office I finally gave in and took her. They looked her over and were very concerned. But she tested positive for strep so they gave me the antibiotic and we were on our way. It took her longer than was expected to feel better but she finally did get over it and we were all happy again.
About a month later the doctor's office called me. They were still concerned and wanted to see her again since she was so sick at her last appointment. I thought this must be bad so I made an appointment for that same day and took her in. They again looked her over, asked if she was eating and sleeping normal which she was but they still wanted to run more tests. I was pretty sure she was fine so I finally asked what they were looking for. The answer, leukemia. She had a few signs so they just wanted to do a blood test to make sure she was okay.
The next day we got her blood work done. You would not have believed how good she was. She sat on my lap and watched as they poked the needle in her arm and began to take out the blood. She didn't cry, didn't even flinch just watched the blood fill up the syringe. I was so proud of her. I had told her that they were going to take some blood from her arm but I think she misunderstood because after she asked if she got to keep her arm on her body. I guess she thought that they were going to take her whole arm off.
We waited a couple of days. I was pretty sure she was okay but still it wasn't fun waiting for the results. Finally, the doctor called. It wasn't leukemia. YEA! There was something going on but she wasn't really sure what, mono maybe, mild neutrophilia probably. They tested her blood sample again for mono but that came back negative. So it really turned out to be nothing more than a little scare. She's healthy and happy. And we are so thankful for that.

1 comment:

Misi said...

Oh good! Thanks for sharing.