Monday, August 15, 2011

Memories of Japan

While walking the kids to the bus stop today AJ found this little guy hanging off a tree.
It's the shell of a cicada.  
It reminded me of Japan.
These shells were all over in the parks hanging off the trees, on the slides, on the swings.
The cicadas in Japan were much bigger though and loud.
The Japanese children would pick up the shells and collect them.
The girls would put them in their hair like we do with flowers behind our ears.
Keeping this in mind I convinced myself that I could be brave enough to pick this one up and take it home to get a picture.
So I did and I kept telling myself all the way home, "it's not gross, you can do this".
Although it was hard for me to eat my crunchy cracked wheat for breakfast while editing this post. 



No comments: