Friday, March 14, 2008

Wannabe Gardener

That's me. I would love to have a garden and fresh vegetables and fruit and know all about flowers and all that stuff. Unfortunately, I have a very UNgreen thumb. I kill everything. But I try. I figure my grandmother was an excellent gardener so it must be in my blood somewhere I just have to find it. I have managed to keep tomatoes alive. I've done it before and Alexandria loved it. Here's our tomato plants so far this year. One of the advantages of living in AZ is we have lots of seasons to plant. So the two really big ones we actually planted in October.



And here's our newest additions.




Starting from left to right, an avocado tree, strawberries and an ice cream banana tree. YUM! Okay so maybe I was guided by my stomach more than my brain when I purchased these. Like I'm going to be able to keep these alive. Plus, the fact that we live in a desert and these are tropical trees (not the strawberries) . . . I'm not sure these are going to have any chance at all. But they do sell them here and I have done some research on line and you can grow them here. They're just not native to AZ. I would love to have a tropical paradise in our backyard. So, here's to hoping that by some miracle I can actually keep them alive. Oh, and any advice is always super appreciated too.

6 comments:

kellyanddanielle said...

that is so cool. i'm jeleous. i wish we could plant trees like that. i love avacado's and they are sooooo expensive. i really hope it works for you. the kids love it when we grow things and they can see them. good luck.

Shanell said...

I want to come and eat some of everything. It all sounds so good. I hope the garden gods are with you and your thumb, that will be a very sweet reward.

Lisa said...

I am like you Ondria I kill everything. Austin used to tease me with my plants I had in the house that If I was going to let them die then do it not to get them on the verge of death and then revitalize them with water... So I tossed them all except one. I hope they all produce something they all sound good.

Heath said...

One piece of advice:
LOTS OF WATER!! I know nothing of gardening but to me it seems that if a plant is a tropical plant and it is trying to survive in Arizona, you might want to flood it daily:)

Janalyn said...

Cool, you really got it! What about the mango tree? That's the one I wanted to share. Good luck. I find with water and fertilizer and the appropriate amount of sun, you can't go wrong. But I'm the lame one that has a whole garden box in a shady area.

Betsy said...

I'm in the same boat as you. I kill everything. I hope they stay alive for you.